Friday, February 27, 2009

Dementia Patient Sets Himself on Fire While Unsupervised in Smoking Area

Ambassador Nursing Center
4900 North Bernard, Chicago
Fined-March 24, 2008
Ambassador Nursing Center was fined $25,000 for failing to monitor a resident who was identified as needing supervision.
The resident, who suffered from dementia, was recognized as requiring supervision to smoke. He wandered onto an unsupervised facility smoking patio, procured a cigarette and lighter from an unknown source and, while attempting to light it, set himself on fire. Two other residents on the patio tried to extinguish the fire but failed as flames engulfed the resident. A staff member heard the commotion, ran out to the patio, and used a fire extinguisher to put out the resident, The resident was taken to the hospital in critical condition, and shortly thereafter died.

No comments: