Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Washington Heights Nursing Home Fined after Resident Dies from Choking Incident

1010 W. 95th St. in Chicago
FINED- July 19, 2002
Washington Heights Nursing Home was fined $10,000 for
failure to provide nursing services in accordance with
a resident's needs.
As part of an incident investigation, Department
surveyors learned a resident, who was to be served a
soft diet, began choking after eating polish sausage.
Staff performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
and the Heimlich maneuver, and then called 911. An
employee told paramedics the resident had choked, but
was fine and only needed to go to the hospital for an
evaluation. En route to the hospital, paramedics
removed a two-inch piece of meat from the resident's
The resident died at the hospital of acute food
aspiration and cardiac and pulmonary arrest. The
resident was assessed as having chewing and swallowing
difficulties and needed to be supervised while eating
and monitored for any signs of aspiration. Surveyors
found no evidence the resident was closely monitored.
The Department-ordered plan of correction required
the facility to review and revise, if necessary, its
policies and procedures pertaining to dietary orders;
to ensure that enough qualified staff are available to
take care of residents; and to ensure staff abide by
residents' dietary restrictions.

No comments: